The second week of classes has been going significantly more
smoothly now that I am aware of what I’m supposed to be doing. That being said,
it turns out that my task of “just making them speak” is kind of difficult.
Speaking a foreign language in front of your school friends/an actual native
speaker is daunting and a horrible thing to be forced to do. I sympathize
greatly because I was in this position not long ago; however, I also know that
the most dreaded, embarrassing activities are what really improved my French.
So...bottom line is, I’m just glad to not be them.
But really, I enjoy the challenge of forcing them to
participate while simultaneously making the situation somewhat comfortable.
It’s allowed me to get creative/come up with some (hopefully) cool ideas that
I’m excited to try after I’ve had my “introduction” day with all of my classes.
(I essentially have a different group of students every period for two weeks).
Introduction days are fine and probably necessary, but I’m ready to move on to
actual lessons because I might strangle something if I have to answer one more
question about McDonalds or Ed Sheeran.
Actually, at the end of the day on Monday (I have 6 classes
in a row, which is...just a lot) I was so tired of questions that I cut the
Q&A short. I also ended it because I wasn’t sure if the students were
actually picking up on anything I was saying. They were just nodding and
smiling at everything, which is what I do when I don’t understand or am
not paying attention, so I became suspicious. I decided to do a quick dictation to see if I was talking to actual
humans or the equivalent of a sack of potatoes. The dictation was:
I went to university in North Carolina, where I received
degrees in music and in French. I like to sing and when French people say the
word “squirrel.”
As expected, the outcome was hilarious. Highlights include:
About half the class wrote: I received the Grease in music
and in French.
![]() |
| Yes. This Grease. |
I like to sing and when French people say “sure.”
I like to sing and when French people say ????
I like to sing and when French people say “school.”
I like to sing and when French
people say no words at all.
The last one was my personal favorite. Since this was so
entertaining, I’ve decided to start every class with a weird dictation and then
make them pronounce the weird words/learn the vocabulary.
I then told the class to write down what
they wanted to discuss/learn in the course (once again, avoiding questions). Here are some of my favorite suggestions:
From the kid who thinks Ariana Grande is America's sole redeeming quality:
“American foreign policy interests me even if I’m not a fan
of America. I don’t like America a lot. Or I want to talk about Ariana Grande
because she a good singer.”
The political savant:
“I’m interested in the battle between Donald Trump against
Kanye West. I’m intrigued by the talk show like Ellen’s show or Oprah whatever.
Is the political system look like “Scandal” series?
The one who didn’t remotely understand the assignment...or
where Harry Potter lives:
“I would like to go to Orlando in order to visit Hogwarts.”
The Grinch:
“I don’t want to talk about politics. And the other
assistant talked about Thanksgiving and Christmas year before so I don’t want
to talk about this.”
I immediately threw the last one in the trashcan and
informed her that Christmas would be discussed every period during the month of
December regardless of how she felt about it.
But anyway, they really are great/respectful kids and a lot of them are fantastic at English. The rest of the week should be pretty easy and I’ll have more updates soon!
But anyway, they really are great/respectful kids and a lot of them are fantastic at English. The rest of the week should be pretty easy and I’ll have more updates soon!

I'll take you out to a fancy dinner if you get one of the kids to sing the Lafayette rap part of Guns and Ships from Hamilton for extra credit.
ReplyDelete