Making lesson plans that you
actually want to teach and that the kids actually want to sit through is hard.
That is why I am very, very proud of my most recent, which I have named Desert
Island.
...I realize now that the
title is slightly less original and climactic than I previously thought...so,
I’ll have to rethink that. BUT, regardless, the game had hysterical and
wonderful results that I think are necessary to share with you all. (Also—I
should specify considering my readership—Drake is a very famous rapper. If you
do not already know who Drake is, this is all going to seem significantly less
funny).
The PowerPoint starts like
this:
I
am sending all of you to a deserted island.
I’m
going to give you scenarios and a list of 9 objects.
In
groups of 2, you have to decide what objects you will use and how you will use
them to resolve the problem given in the scenario. In ENGRRISSHHHH PLLLLZZZZZ.
But seriously. Please.
You
will present your plan to the class and I will decide who has the best plan.
The objects are:
1. A fork
2.
A flashlight
3.
Toilet paper
4.
A jar of pickles
5.
A sheep
6.
A Christmas tree
7.
A yo-yo
8.
Three paperclips
9.
Drake
Scenario 1:
You are stranded on a
glacier in the middle of the ocean. You see a boat in the distance and must
find a way to get its attention. You can choose 3 objects to help you
accomplish this task. Which will you choose and how will you use them?
The winner:
“We put a christmas tree on
the glacier. We put Drake at the top of the tree. We put paperclips on his
nipples so he is in pain and scream and get the attention of the boat.”
Brilliant. I immediately
knew this was going to be amazing.
Scenario 2:
You manage to flag down the
boat; however, you then notice that a pack of flesh-eating, zombie seals is
approaching you. You have to evade them, distract them, or kill them. You may
choose 3 different objects to accomplish this task.
The winner:
Student: “We will use
pickles, the flashlight, and Drake. We put the jar of pickles on the edge of
the glacier so the seals will eat them and fall off and shine a flashlight near
the pickles so that we can watch the seals go into ocean.”
Me: “Wait, what about
Drake?”
Student: “Oh, Drake is there
to, you know, lighten the mood.”
I thought this was
hilarious, because that’s exactly what Drake’s purpose would be on a deserted island.
Scenario 3:
Hooray! You’re still alive.
And look! The boat is here.
Unfortunately, the captain
of the boat needs a fancy new hat and says that you must make one for him
before getting on the ship. You may choose 4 objects to make a fancy hat for
the captain. Draw a picture of the hat.
The winner:
I don’t remember exactly but
it was shockingly disgusting/morbid and had something to do with Drake’s left buttock.
Anyway, that was fun. I’m
excited for the teaching week to be over in any case because 1. I am exhausted
and 2. Cam-a-Claus is coming to town! Or rather, Katie’s (one of our BFFs who
is doing TAPIF in Grenoble) boyfriend Cameron is coming to stay with us for the
weekend. He’s woofing (some sort of farming thing...) in Lille for the next few
weeks; so, we will hopefully be seeing a lot of him. We are super excited about
this because Cam is the best. If I manage to peer pressure Katie into getting
out of work, she’s going to come to Lille next weekend so we can all four be reunited. I am determined to make this happen because we could have friendsgiving + friendsmas all at once, which is a dream.
In other news, Lille is in decked out in all things Christmas with the decorations and lights and market and gigantic Farris wheel etc etc. It’s beautiful, and now that Carson’s iPhone is again functioning, we will be taking lots of pictures. Expect a bunch in the next post and everyone have a great weekend!
In other news, Lille is in decked out in all things Christmas with the decorations and lights and market and gigantic Farris wheel etc etc. It’s beautiful, and now that Carson’s iPhone is again functioning, we will be taking lots of pictures. Expect a bunch in the next post and everyone have a great weekend!
No comments:
Post a Comment