Wednesday, November 18, 2015

A quick note on Paris

I’ve started and erased this post several times. I am not sure how to talk about anything other than the events of this past Friday, but at the same time I do not assume to have any unique insight into tragedy. I can’t say anything that hasn’t already been said, but the victims and their families and friends are at the front of my mind, as are Paris and the French people.

Carson and I are safe and everything is carrying on as usual; school was not canceled and all stores/businesses/etc. have remained open. Security has tightened up at the train station and other places that get a lot of foot traffic. No one needs to worry about us.

The fear and sadness is impossible to ignore. That being said, the amount of support and empathy I’ve seen over the past few days is perhaps equally evident. Empathy is a weird thing. Everyone naturally empathizes, though some are better at it than others, and it’s basically like a sixth sense. I think as long as we don’t lose this ability to feel/understand the emotions of others, we will always have the necessary support to get through terrible events like this.

Despite anxiety and grief, life goes on and we have to return to our everyday responsibilities. However, as we do so, this event will remain in our thoughts and we will continue to spread our support and empathize with those affected.

1 comment:

  1. I can imagine it was tough to sit down and "carry on" as per usual with your posts but thanks for doing so, perfectly expressed. (All here are of course glad you're OK and continue to ask about you both.)

    ReplyDelete