Now onto what we actually did over the break...
My post-plane stress instantly disappeared when I arrived at
our beautiful hotel on the beach. I only had a rolling suitcase, but the
bellboy dressed inexplicably in German lederhosen insisted on carrying it the
strenuous three feet to the hotel lobby. Upon entering, I was greeted by my mom
and yet another ledhosen-ed bellboy carrying a platter of champagne glasses.
All of these things seemed like very good omens, and indeed they were.
The first night, we went down to the jazz bar and very
quickly befriended the bartender. I asked for a simple cava, but after he went on and on about how he could make me literally anything on the
planet, I gave in and told him to surprise me. I was not expecting the
extravagance that followed:
![]() |
| This also reminded me that it was Valentine's Day and my mom and I were surrounded by a troop of ancient British couples. |
See-what-ridiculous-drink-the-bartender-will-make-next
turned out to be a really, really fun game. As we sat at the bar, I saw the guy
make these:
![]() |
| The number of different vessels they had for serving beverages was unreal |
And these:
And also—this one I didn’t get a
picture of—there was one drink that consisted of a laboriously crafted
daiquiri, which was poured into a conch shell, which he proceeded to place into
a treasure chest, which he then filled with dried fruit and a tea
candle.
Before going to dinner, I requested
an aperitif-type drink with a kick. This was a mistake, as after the guy poured
my seemingly normal drink, he torched absinthe on top of it and sprinkled it
with a handful of hashish...A very fun dinner followed.
![]() |
| My kind of art |
After dinner we actually went back to the bar
to watch some jazz, and the nice man made us a ridiculous beverage made with sake
and then a desert drink garnished with chocolates.
![]() |
| Keeping with the theme after our sushi dinner |
![]() |
| Promise this is the last picture of a drinkable liquid |
At this point mom had told everyone
that I write a blog, and these guys were convinced that I was an actual writer that had actual power to promote their bar. The rest of the stay they treated me like I was
important, which often confused other bar patrons. For example: one time, both the
couple next to me and I ordered a glass of cava. When our drinks came
out, they had standard champagne glasses and a small bowl of nuts; whereas my
drink was garnished with mint leaves, placed in a box filled with dried fruit,
and accompanied by three bowls of varying snacks. So, now I know being a fake travel
blogger is a fantastic career option.
The next day mom and I went down to
the spa for a body scrub and a hot stone massage. I had never received a real
massage, so I was interested to see what the hype was about. Turns out, I’m not
very good at them.
Examples:
- Undressed when I wasn’t supposed to at least 3 times
- Consistently misunderstood whether I was supposed to be under, over, inside of, making origami out of the towel
- Never figured out how to position my face in the face hole
- For some reason I thought that if I breathed in too deeply all the stones would roll off of me and burn something, so I ended up alternating between sort of holding my breath and then slowly letting it out and trying not to gasp for air
Also, since I’m not familiar with
the process, I wasn’t sure when things were supposed to be painful. I just
figured that the vicious scrubbing of my body with what I presume was sandpaper
was supposed to be slightly uncomfortable because my skin felt wonderful
afterward. I saw it as a “no pain no gain” type thing. Now I know that I just
have absurdly sensitive skin and you are indeed allowed to voice
opinions/preferences during a massage session. The more you learn...
Luckily, the next day when we had a
facial, the same woman who did my massage greeted me at the door. Since she
already knew I was awkward and uneducated in the nuances of spa-ing, she
provided more explicit instructions and I was able to redeem myself. Jokes aside, everything was
fantastically wonderful and I would go to a spa on a weekly basis if I had the
time and money.
Also, the spa also included sauna
rooms. I had never been in a sauna, so I was didn’t really know what to expect,
but apparently they make me very tired. I haven’t napped in years, but every time after leaving that
tiny heated box I instantly fell asleep. This might just be because I have not
actually allowed myself to relax to that extent in years, but whatever the
case, it was a cool discovery.
There was also also an indoor pool
in the spa, where we did probably one of my favorite activities of the trip: a water
aerobics class attended by a giant pack of eighty year old British grannies and led by a young Spanish woman who spoke no English and played very loud EDM
music.
Honestly, watching old ladies swing
noodles around with stern, concentrated expressions to the rhythm of obscure
American EDM remixes was not just one of the high points of the trip, but
probably of my existence.
I give these women a ton of credit,
though. Going in, I arrogantly thought that I wouldn’t even break a sweat or
feel a twinge. However, water aerobics can be kind of hard and I found myself having to force myself through the movements at the end so I wouldn’t look like
a big loser in front of the Granny squad.
But moving on...I think it was the
next day that we walked into the town center. It was a lovely stroll along the
coastline, and we had lunch at a place right on the water. It was fantastic and
the super nice waiter even gave us a pitcher of sangria on the house. Spanish
hospitality is the best.
![]() |
| Obligatory beach pic |
![]() |
| A different, less invasive mountain |
![]() |
| Creeping on other tourists |
![]() |
| Volcanic stuffs |
![]() |
| Kite and wind surfing are a BIG deal and it looked super fun, but we decided to stick with water aerobics |
![]() |
| GET OUT OF MY PICTURES, MOUNTAIN |
![]() |
| eeeeEGGHHH |
![]() |
| In the adorable fishing village of Corralejo |
![]() |
| I thought this guy came out of no where just to ruin my picture but really he made it so much better |
![]() |
| Fellow vacationers |
![]() |
| Intruding mountain's more inconspicuous twin |
![]() |
| I can't even build one successful drip castle and this guy made an entire city of them |
![]() |
| Corralejo was 90% beachside restaurants 10% a port |
![]() |
| This is more pictures of scenery than anyone could possibly caption |
![]() |
| Photo bombed once again |
![]() |
| Thankfully, even though Fuerteventura is sort of far from Spain, sangria is still a big deal |
![]() |
| Turns out cocktail sauce here is more or less thousand island dressing, but this in no way detracts from the deliciousness |
![]() |
| Mom got some AMAZING fried octopus topped with an equally amazing green mystery sauce |
![]() |
| Apparently peace signs are still a popular thing on isolated islands |
![]() |
| Mom with some pretty flowers |
Otherwise, we ate some of the best
dinners I’ve ever consumed (seriously, these family visits have irreversibly
spoiled me and my restaurant expectations) and had the greatest Valentine’s retreat
I could imagine. Boyfriends have officially been rendered unnecessary; I would
be entirely content to spend all romantic holidays henceforth with my mother.
Speaking of boyfriends...I’ll
finish up the break and post about our time with Carson and his parents very, very soon!




























No comments:
Post a Comment