After a week or so of rainy, freezing weather, spring is
finally here...ish (it’s been super sunny everyday/slightly over fifty
degrees...so, close enough). We’ve been able to hang out on the terrace
everyday without looking like the Michelin man and even went ahead and bought
all necessary ingredients for bière pêche.
Other than the lovely weather, there’s nothing huge to
report. Stephanie (one of our favorite humans from UNC/Montpellier) and one of
her friends from high school came for a short visit last week, which was super
fun. The weather continued to be awesome and, most importantly, I was able to
catch up with the wonderful lady that is Steph Tepps.
So... short update, but that’s about it. Here are some fun things my students have
said lately:
1. Right after break, I was teaching a class of about six
girls that is always very
enthusiastic about English. The whole time my stomach was weirdly itchy, and I
guess I was touching it more than a normal amount, because at the end of class
this happened:
Girl: Um...you...are baby?
Me: ...What?
Girl: Your stomach, you do baby?
Me: Do baby? Wha...are you asking me if I’m pregnant?
Girl: Ah, yes, pregnant!
Me: Do I look... rounder?
Girl: Ah, no, no! I am so sorry. You just touch stomach a
lot! That is all! So sorry!
This girl continues to apologize profusely each time I pass
her in the hallway.
2. I think I’ve mentioned before that whenever I play games
I make them come up with team names. They frequently have to repeat what
they’re saying because I can’t understand their accent or they’ve made up a
ridiculous word. The other day a group of kids shouted what I thought was “Jew
Squad.” People in France are WAY less concerned about being politically correct
or offending people with words, but I still thought it was kind of weird.
Me: So, like...all six of you are Jewish?
Students: Staring blankly
Me: ....
Students: ....
Me: So.. Jew? Like
JJJEEEEWWWW. Jew squad?
Students: Uh yes?...
J-U-L squad. Jul Squad.
They’re so much more normal and innocent than I give them credit for.
3. I was bored one
morning and decided to brighten my day by making the kids write me haikus. I
gave them all themes to focus on, and the group who got Spongebob created this
profound work of art:
Bob, sponge of the
deep sea
Bob, the most square
of sponges
Bob, yellow, it’s
you
...Okay, so the
first line is 6 syllables, but you can’t help but want to give that some snaps.
I’ll try to have
some more interesting stories for the next blog. Hope everyone is having a
lovely week!
No comments:
Post a Comment