We ended up successfully finding everything we needed (I was worried about not being able to find whipped cream or evaporated milk, which would have resulted in a very weird version of a pumpkin pie). For the meat component, we decided on a rotisserie chicken because they are essentially adorable mini-turkeys.
After putting away our groceries, we went to explore the Christmas market and I had my first vin chaud (mulled wine) of the season. Since the market is so close to my apartment, I foresee many post-school vin chaud/market perusing trips in the future.
When Carson got home that night we cooked everything up and had a magical Thanksgiving. The only glitch was when I dropped the microwavable mashed potatoes, immediately teared up, and started repeating: “I am the Thanksgiving ruiner” over and over (think: Kelsey circa Thanksgiving 2013). Everyone assured me that the mashed potatoes were by far the weak link of the meal and totally subpar. Maybe they were just being nice, but I’m going to go ahead and believe that this was true and that I am not a Thanksgiving ruiner.
![]() |
| Our spread |
The next day we did the pastry tour that I promised Katie if she made the trip down. We started at Aux Merveilleux de Fred, where we got the sampler box. This included all six favors of...whatever they are...and we chose to wait until that night to eat them.
The boys then wanted to take us to a place they had seen last weekend for a “surprise.” We knew it had to be food, and alas, it was a cupcake shop. Cupcakes are somewhat of an anomaly in France because the French don’t understand what icing is (their main culinary downfall); however, these cupcakes were amazing and the icing, though not quite like in America, was really good all the same. Carson and I split a chocolate cupcake with chocolate chips baked inside and peanut butter frosting on top--accurately named “The Uncle Sam”--while Katie and Cam “shared” an almond cupcake with raspberries and vanilla frosting. Also amazing.
| Cupcakes! |
For some reason, when the Ferris wheel was moving at a rapid pace, all was well. But, when it just stopped every five seconds and the wind started blowing the cart with surprising force, all was terrifying. I then also permanently fused myself to the railing of our cart.
Meanwhile, Katie and Cam were taking pictures and didn’t seem to register at all that we were currently on a spinning death wheel. I would say Carson and I loosened up once the ride sped up, but it was more like a manic cycle of fear—while descending was fun and implied we had avoided, once again, potential death by being blown into the abyss, ascending meant that the possibility of death was still imminent.
So, it turns out that I too am afraid of heights...if the height can only be reached by gigantic structures built essentially overnight that are far too easily moved by wind, have no seatbelts or bars to contain a human, and no rules or safety precautions listed anywhere. In any case, we survived and it was totally worth it for the beautiful views of the city.
| So seemingly happy and whimsical until you notice the emotionless eyes |
Once we had our gifts, we stopped at meert to get some vanilla waffles because, after all, it was pastry day. We also went back to the Christmas market to get some more vin chaud and to try the hot beer (which was shockingly not terrible).
When Secret Santa time came along, Katie gave her gift first. She had drawn Carson and got him a hat that looks like Santa’s lower half going down a chimney and a light-up bow tie. Her reasoning was something like: “Since Rachel hid your tuxedo shirt, I thought you might want something to annoy her during the holidays.”
![]() |
| Well played... |
On Sunday we went to the gigantic covered market in Wazemmes (about a 20 minute walk down the road). This market is a huge deal in Lille and considered one of those things you have to do; of course, we had never been because we have a different market so close by and are lazy. It was clear what the hype was about: it is indeed gigantic and covered and there are even cafes and art booths inside. We had a nice time but didn’t buy anything as per usual (well, I did buy a sole clementine—consequently making the woman behind the counter’s head nearly explode. If you don’t buy by the kilo or half kilo everyone just thinks you are supremely weird).
![]() |
| A lot of weird smells going on here considering it was basically just a warehouse of paint and fish and cheese... |
We ended our day once again with vin chaud at the Christmas market and dinner at the house. They left on a night train at about 9 that night and we saw them off at the station. All in all it was a wonderful, Christmas-filled weekend and I could not have been happier to spend some quality time with Katie and Cam.
This week has been going smoothly thus far. We only have about two weeks left of school before our break, so I’m looking forward to dedicating all of my free time to making the house as stupidly festive as possible.
Finally, since I haven’t been including many photos recently, here’s what I would have posted before if the pictures had been on my computer:
![]() |
| There is no way this picture could be improved |
![]() |
| We should really get her to just follow us around permanently |
| Pre-secret Santa! |
![]() |
| Katie being an appropriate amount of excited for this vanilla waffle |
![]() |
| Katie being almost identically excited about a chocolate covered pear from the xmas market |
![]() |
| Artsy pic from the xmas market |
![]() |
| Katie's photography is forreal the best |
![]() |
| Friends! |
![]() |
| At an awesome wine bar next door called FiFis. It's way too cool for us but we annoy them sometimes anyway. |
![]() |
| Ferris wheel/the main square at night |


















No comments:
Post a Comment